Old May 23rd 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default Control Unit for Home Built Rotator from Pitch-Prop Motor

Richard,
Agreed on the suitability of an analog solution... I certainly made
some steps toward critically damped operation. My circuit design was
bad, though.

I didn't have a very analyzable problem; the rotator rotates one of
those fiberglass surplus military masts with respect to another, so I
get a lot of stick-slip, especially if there's a breeze (there are 12
feet of mast above this thing).

This is not to say a suitable set of P, I and D couldn't be found, and
it would have been pretty slick if I'd set up right for empirical loop
tuning, but I hadn't done that. I got pretty close by soldering
components in and out.

I would have had a better time with a real multiple op amp circuit with
a knob for each of P, I and D.

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding too heavily dampened
with too much gain in the antenna rotator case. I just couldn't really
tune the thing.

In my case, I just decided to throw up my hands and go to the simplest
method so I could get on the air with a rotating antenna. I have a
quite successful analog servo going every day with my remote antenna
tuner (www.n3ox.net/projects/servo). That one is ever-so-slightly
underdamped, proportional only, and works nicely. There's a little bit
of hysteresis and it certainly could be improved, but I stopped at the
good-enough-for-daily-operation level.

I guess what I meant by "going digital" was that depending on whether
you're more comfortable with programming than a soldering iron (not
me!) you might think about having a simple motor drive circuit and
implement the admittedly complex PID loop in software/firmware.

You're absolutely right that you can't do this if you don't know how to
do the analog...

73,
Dan
N3OX