Old May 24th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Kaito 1103 VS Grundig Eton YB400?

Nicolae Santean wrote:
Okay, this was supposed to be a comparison, and I will give MHO: I owned two
(2) YB400PE and I played with one G4000A. And yet, I have sold my both YB
second hand... Yes, and I am happy! I now have a Degen 1103 (about a third
price of a YB) and I am twice as happy! No question for me: 1103 is way a
better (versatility wise, and what-not) than YB or whatever G4000A may be (I
have not figured out the major difference versus YB). My advice: get a
Degen 1103 and have FUN! Forget Grundig, which has been producing incredible
lemons for a long, long while. BTW: I also own an S350 which indeed is
miserable... and I hardly wait to get rid of.

My point: if you are looking for a very portable, sleek and performing SW
receiver (general broadcast), get a DE1103.

Cheers,

Nic.

"pete nalda" wrote in message
Just curious how these too compare as I can get either here in Austin TX.
Not interested in the Sony because It'd have to be mail ordered.

TIA

Finally, someone agrees with me about the miserable S350 and Grundig,
in general !
Cheers, Nic ! To the person who stated that PLL has its downsides -
well, it sure beats having to retune an analog receiver, every few
minutes. If one has to retune off the desired frequency by a Khz, or
two, wouldn't that be due to selective fading ? I would think one
would want to stay on the exact broadcast frequency with digital PLL,
and use sync. det. with selective side band, if available. Too bad the
G4000A is analog w/digital readout - wouldn't want to deal with another
S350 look-a-like, again...