Old May 24th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Mike Monett

Default Vector network analysis question

Mike Monett wrote:

So it might be
worthwhile to check carefully before mating different hardware.

So the thought finally strikes me. How do you check the female socket
dimension? Do you stick a male pin in and see how much friction there is?
That could bend the contacts and damage the pin.

How about checking the male pin diameter when it is already installed on a
connector? There's not enough room for calipers to reach the pin.

I often find the BNC connectors on my scope go intermittent due to a loose
center pin. Often the only choice is to use a pair of pliers to squeeze the
contacts together again. The damage appears to have been caused by some
off-brand 50 ohm terminators that require an unusual mount of force to seat
on the connector. But the repair doesn't last. Once the female pin has been
forced open, it quickly goes intermittent again. This is a big problem
since the scope connector is usually a special item that is difficult to
get.

Regards,

Mike Monett