Old October 3rd 03, 05:50 PM
Jim Kelley

Cecil Moore wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:
I just showed you how characteristic impedances are used to calculate
the reflection coefficient at '+'. But you can wish it into the
cornfield if you like, Anthony. :-)

Absolutely no chance that you are simply wrong?

Only if Born and Wolfe are wrong. Since people use these formulas every
day, proving them wrong might be quite a challenge. I should think the
fact that their formula produces the correct answer to your problem
should lend Born and Wolfe at least some credence.

(150-50)/(150+50) is NOT rho.

Is it the reflection coefficient for a 50 ohm to 150 ohm impedance
discontinuity?

It is the 's11' reflection coefficient for that impedance discontinuity.
It is NOT the 'rho' at '+' unless the signals are orthogonal to each
other at '+'. Chances are they are not orthogonal.

If the 150 ohm line was terminated in 150 ohms or was infinitely long
would
Vr = Vf * (150-50)/(150+50)?

73, Jim AC6XG