Old May 25th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Roy Lewallen

Default Vector network analysis question

Mike Monett wrote:
Roy Lewallen wrote:

For sure. It looks like it's not safe to mate a 75 ohm connector with
anything, even another 75 ohm connector, without checking pin diameter.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Or even 50 ohms, for that matter. But how do you check the pin diameter on
an existing connector? A caliper won't go in there. Also, the diameter
could be correct but the pin could be assembled incorrectly and stick out
too far. This will damage the female pin.

Or maybe you know of some other non-destructive method to tell if you can
mate an existing male and female coax connector without damage?

The vulnerable part is the female pin. Once those legs get splayed there's
no way to put them back. All it takes is one event to effectively ruin a
brand-new scope.

Well, a scope will have a 50 ohm female connector, which should tolerate
any kind of male without damage. The only vulnerable connector should be
a 75 ohm female connector of the sort which has a smaller pin diameter.
I don't believe I've ever seen one of those, and you'll certainly never
see one on any commercial equipment except only possibly some
video-related units.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL