Old May 25th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Warren

Default icom R5 opinions

On 23 May 2006 14:59:57 -0700, "GP" wrote:

Is this radio any good for SW reception or is it meant strictly for
VHF/UHF?...I like the size and frequency range but kind of curious as
to how well it receives HF...

Thanks

Greg

Greg,

It is helpful for hearing band openings or if you get an antenna
adapter to connect a longer antenna to it but then it becomes a
non-portable radio!

I found that if I hear more than two or three stations in a band, then
I get my ICF-7600 out and tune the rest of the band (and many more
stations) with the Sony. So use it to spot bandopenings and then go
to your "good" set to hear the rest of them!

Warren