Old May 26th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Brainteaser

Jim Kelley wrote:
One should also carefully consider the more interesting variation of the
problem: an open transmission line. In the steady state we have 100
watts forward, 100 watts reflected, 200 Joules in the line, and 0 watts
being sourced by the generator. :-)

Expanding on my earlier response - For the first two seconds,
the source doesn't know it is looking into an open transmission
line so a 100 watt source would faithfully output 200 joules
into a one second long open circuit transmission line. That
200 joules cannot be destroyed. Is it mere coincidence that
the forward and reflected waves are 100 joules/sec*(one second),
exactly equal to the 200 joules supplied by the source?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp