Old May 26th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave

Default Brainteaser

is that line 1 second long, or 1/2 second long?? a 1 second long line would
take 2 seconds worth of energy from the generator before the reflection
returned to let it know the line is terminated. this is of course very
important if you are measuring lines with tdr's where you can really see
those returned waves, of course the time it takes them to get back to the
tdr is double the one-way travel time... mess it up and you are looking for
faults twice as far down the line as you calculate.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. com...
Jim Kelley wrote:
One should also carefully consider the more interesting variation of the
problem: an open transmission line. In the steady state we have 100
watts forward, 100 watts reflected, 200 Joules in the line, and 0 watts
being sourced by the generator. :-)

Expanding on my earlier response - For the first two seconds,
the source doesn't know it is looking into an open transmission
line so a 100 watt source would faithfully output 200 joules
into a one second long open circuit transmission line. That
200 joules cannot be destroyed. Is it mere coincidence that
the forward and reflected waves are 100 joules/sec*(one second),
exactly equal to the 200 joules supplied by the source?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp