Old May 26th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Brainteaser

K7ITM wrote:

Sigh. Yes, I believe you HAVE made a mistake in your calculations,
right at the beginning. C = tau/Z0 = 1/100 farad; L = tau*Z0 = 100
henries. But of course, the concept is perfect. 100V, 1A, 100W,
E^2*C/2 = 50 joules stored in the capacitance. I^2*L/2 = 50 joules
stored in the inductance. The two are equal only for a termination
equal to the line Z0 of course.

Too bad Cec doesn't understand that lossless line has unvarying Z0 as a
function of frequency from DC up, as long as TEM mode is supported.

I do understand that. That's why Reg's 10,000 joules don't make
any sense to me. Now if the Z0 was one ohm at DC, it would make
sense for 100 volts to be able to supply 10,000 joules in one
second.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp