Old May 26th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
K7ITM

Default Brainteaser

Reg Edwards wrote:
I've lost the original question.

Actually, it was "200 watts forward, 100 watts reflected" -- but it
works the same way: 100 ohm line, 1 second long: source is DC
200*sqrt(2) volts in series with 100 ohms. Load is such that it
absorbs 100 watts from that source: 100*(3 +/- sqrt(8)) ohms. About
17.16 ohms works OK. Then the line voltage is 41.42V and the energy
stored in the 1/100F line capacitance is 8.579 joules, and the line
current is 2.414A and the energy stored in the 100H line inductance is
291.421 joules. Total energy stored is 300 joules.

It's somewhat comforting that it's just as you'd expect from power
delivered versus time. It's an illustration of something I believe Ian
White was trying to get across in another thread: there are commonly
multiple ways to analyze a problem, and if they agree, you MAY have the
right answer. If they disagree, you have at least as many wrong
answers as the number of disagreements (or perhaps the disagreements
only seem to be disagreements).

Now, I have no idea who it is that might be saying that there's no
energy stored in the fields in a line, so I really don't know what the
to-do is all about. Maybe it's just another misinterpretation of what
people have actually said...perhaps about lines that are very far
indeed from being lossless.

Cheers,
Tom