Old May 28th 06, 08:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

Default IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. net...

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

Actually, I am a programmer and a pretty good one. I am in favor of
anything that extends the life of AM radio or terrestrial radio in

general.

Is AM radio or terresterial radio really going to die? If so, how?

It is, in business terms, in full matruation and in slow decline. It will
not grwo in usership, and will only grow slightly ahead of inflation in
revenues. At some point in time, the deliver system will be obsolete, but

HD
can extend that somewhat.

What's the timeframe? When might the delivery system become obselete?

If you mean "die as we know it", well, that's always happening. The

radio
of 1966 is dead, as is the radio of 1926. Big deal. If nighttime IBOC

AM
somehow timecapsules the radio of 2006, it's hardly worth it.

Radio will become a content driven industry, rather than a delivery system
model. Radio companies that move desirable content through new delivery
methods will survive. Others will not.

For 84 years, radio has been the same model. Get listeners, sell ads to
reach them. As long as that model is viable, radio will not be changed at
all.

The consumer, too, should be in favor of this as commercial-based radio
is
free, and every other option has ongoing delivery charges.

Most podcasting is free, unless you count the cost of the internet
connection. However, downloaders would have the internet connection
anyway,
so there's no additional cost.

Many of the more desirable podcasts are radio content, available for
listening on demand. It is just like TV wiht a TiVo.

But there's no additional costs with most netcasts. Is there any guarantee
that IBOC won't have a pay radio angle?

I can see how the internet might cut into the radio establishment's
profits.

It has not so far, and probably the model that will work will be WiMax

once
there is adequate bandwidth, low cost and an easy way to find content. A
radio dial is easy. A computer is less easy.

Sure. It's easy to imagine Pandora like programs autoloading individualized
net programming into portable players and car radios in the near future.

So, who needs IBOC?

Frank Dresser