Old May 28th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

Default IBOC at night and the local/regiona AMs

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
Frank Dresser wrote:
"David Eduardo" wrote in message
et...
texting alone is not a salable benefit. I can't think of a way to make

it
so. It is, however, an added benefit, especially to HD digital audio.

Seems like the benefits of texting would be the same regardless of the
method of audio modulation.

Frank Dresser

Text is more easily implemented, without potential artifact, with
more possible versatility in digital modulation, than as an analog

adjunct.

OK, I see the point. RDS has the same problems as SCA as far as FM goes.
But, as I understand, there's some unused overhead in RDS such as font
selection and such which could be better used in an text service.

And the problem with digital modulation can't be all that different. The
bits used for text are bits which can't be used for audio.

Frank Dresser