Old May 28th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

Default IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. net...

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

Actually, I am a programmer and a pretty good one. I am in favor of
anything that extends the life of AM radio or terrestrial radio in
general.

Is AM radio or terresterial radio really going to die? If so, how?

It is, in business terms, in full matruation and in slow decline. It will
not grwo in usership, and will only grow slightly ahead of inflation in
revenues. At some point in time, the deliver system will be obsolete, but

HD
can extend that somewhat.

What's the timeframe? When might the delivery system become obselete?

We don't even know if we are going to be useing towers and transmitters 10
or 15 years from now. technology is moving radpidly enough to consider that
the current bands and distruibution systems will become obsolete, while
content may be moved on other carriers. However, we weredall told that the
Internet and streaming would kill radio back in the late 90's, and that
never happened.

Nobody has any basis for making a prediction as the device that will move us
from towers and transmitters probbly does not exist yet

Sure. It's easy to imagine Pandora like programs autoloading
individualized
net programming into portable players and car radios in the near future.

So, who needs IBOC?

There is no system with adequate bandwidth to satisfy the needs of a quarter
billion people at present. There is also no system that can do it free, like
radio is today. The major impediment to satellite and other systems is the
cost of delivery on an ongoing basis.