Old May 29th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

Default IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

wrote in message
ups.com...

David Eduardo wrote:
wrote in message

I can live with FM HD, but the reduced BW of the AM signal isn't a good
idea. KCBS post HD sounds like KFI. [Hey, if I sounded as bad as KFI,
I'd whisper my station ID too.]

KFI is the #3 radio station in LA, the worlds largest radio market in terms
of revenue. It is the 4th highest billing radio station in the US, and,
maybe, the world. YOur subjective judgement on the quality seems to be
unobserved by the 1.2 million Angelinos that listen each week.

And the potential interference with
out of town stations (i.e. where the hash of one IBOC channel sits on
the analog signal of another station) is a real show stopper,
especially if at night.

However, there is no evidence that there is any appreciable listening to out
of town AMs at night.

You need to consider all those people who don't live in metropolitan
areas, or even those driving on I-5. I can see HD leading to XM sales
for those who do any rural travelling or live in the sticks.

In most every part o fthe US, there are multiple FMs, even in western ND or
on the Navajo Nation in AZ, to name a few. Nobody listens to fady AM when
they have FM at hand, or other alternatives like satellite.

AM clears used to get lots of truckers at night. But daytime, they had to
dial from station to station to get music or talk they liked. Today, nearly
all truckers have satellite, which is a perfect application of that
technology. Local statins do not care a bit about losing out of town
truckers or out of town anyone, as they do not help sell local advertising.

Since when does the FCC adopt a standard that hands money to one
particular patent holder?

They did with C quam.