Old May 29th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Dave Head

Default NOT !!! Dayton HamFest killed by E-Bay

On Mon, 29 May 2006 14:22:11 GMT, chuck wrote:

New radios with all bells + whistles
cheaper then a 20yr old as is doa rig

And even cheaper when you buy it at the Hamvention - same rig in the store a
day later is $50 more...

what kills hamfests is lack of interest

Sure, but the reason for the lack of interest is the crux of the situation.

buyers of estate gear at dirp cheap prices
that markup to sell on ebay and hamfests.

Some people gotta make a buck... But the Hamvention is coming back, I think -
there were _definitely_ more people there than last year, and equal or more
exhibitors both in the flea market and inside. We may yet get back to the
state of affairs where there's 30,000 people coming to the Hamvention again,
complete with a banquet and free buses, and buses to the motels. We can hope -
its a great weekend.

We do need more ham radio gear and less outright junk in the flea market, tho.

Dave Head