Old May 29th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

Default IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. com...
Since when does the FCC adopt a standard that hands money to one
particular patent holder?

They did with C quam.

Say what?? I remember the FCC "letting the market decide" on which AMS
system would prevail. In Portland we had both C-Quam (KGW, et. al.) and
Kahn-Hazeltine (KKSN). Don't know if anyone was using the Magnavox system,
but it was more or less compatible with C-Quam anyway.

The FCC chose the Magnavox, and Lenard Kahn sued, and then the FCC came out
with a marketplace ruling 5 years later. To get to C quam, we went through a
singe system ruling, a lawsuit by a disgrunteld designer who did not care if
he killed AM,, and then a marketplace rulling. So they DID do a single
system ruling, even if changed later. The result was C Quam, and one
company getting all the (very limited) money for generators and royalties
for recievers.