Old May 30th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

Default IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

wrote in message
oups.com...

David Eduardo wrote:

KFI is the #3 radio station in LA, the worlds largest radio market in
terms
of revenue. It is the 4th highest billing radio station in the US, and,
maybe, the world. YOur subjective judgement on the quality seems to be
unobserved by the 1.2 million Angelinos that listen each week.

KFI succeeds on content, not sound quality.

I think there is an echo here. I just said that.

And the potential interference with
out of town stations (i.e. where the hash of one IBOC channel sits on
the analog signal of another station) is a real show stopper,
especially if at night.

However, there is no evidence that there is any appreciable listening to
out
of town AMs at night.

In numbers that impresses you I suppose.

No, in numbers that do not have lots of zeros to the right of the decimal
point before getting to anything serious.

In most every part o fthe US, there are multiple FMs, even in western ND
or
on the Navajo Nation in AZ, to name a few. Nobody listens to fady AM when
they have FM at hand, or other alternatives like satellite.

I have driven parts of Utah and Nevada without a freakin' cell phone
carrier let alone FM radio station. Take a trip from Ely to Vegas and
tell me how much FM you receive. Yet there are houses spattered all
along the way. There are people who live off the power grid. No phone
either. Oh yeah, well armed too.

I have done that, and there are FMs my car radio pick up all the way.