Old May 30th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Tod Glenn

Default Back-up rig opinions?

In article ,
(Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:

wrote:
My main rig is a Kenwood TS-850S. I am considering getting a back up
rig for it.

Main interest is cw. Internal Antenna Tuner is nice. Bands higher
than 10m not that important.

What models do you recommend that: represent good value, reliable, can
still be serviced (if used)?

Try a Ten-Tec. Many Japanese rigs are designed for SSB, with CW as an
afterthought. Ten-Tec rigs, while they work perfectly well for SSB,
were, and still are, are designed with a CW operator in mind.

Their older rigs can be easily serviced, and they still sell manuals,
parts and fix them for you.

The older ones don't include tuners, but a modern external auto tuner will
work with them.

Geoff.

+1 bon the TenTec. You can pick up a great CW rig for a couple hundred
dollars. My primary rig in now a TenTec Orion, with a TT corsair II and
Argosy II as backup rigs.

My first TenTec rig was bought as a backup to my Icom 746pro, but its
receiver proved to be far superior to the more 'modern' 746.