Old May 30th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Default Why 9-volt batteries?

Hello.

I always had a "soft spot" in my heart for the rectangular 9-volt
batteries as these were the norm when I got my first transistor radio -
a Realtone 6-transistor - which I thought was the absolute "cat's meow"
at the time. I used to go riding on my bicycle all over the place and I
always took this radio with me. I just couldn't imagine anything better
than to have a radio on my bike!*

The 9-volt batteries were very inexpensive. The Pep Boys, a local auto
parts store, sold them for 5 cents apiece! Later on, Radio Shack would
GIVE them away - you brought your "Radio Shack Battery Card" into the
store once a month and you could have one free battery of any of the
common sizes - AA, C, D, or 9-volt. As it took TWO months to get two
free AA's but only ONE month to get a free 9-volt, I always favored
9-volt-powered radios.

Today, I have two pocket AM-FM portables still in use - a Panasonic
Model RF-521, purchased sometime in the 1990s, which uses two AA
batteries, and a General Electric Model 7-2582D, purchased in the
1980s, and which uses the 9-volt battery. Both radios perform equally
regarding sensitivity, selectivity, and so forth, but the GE, being
slightly larger, has noticeably better sound quality.

Nowadays of course the 9-volt batteries are far more costly than two AA
batteries, though, in these radios, they seem to give equal length of
service.

I do not know if any radios are still being manufactured using 9-volt
batteries as their power supply.

I just still have my (irrational) "soft spot" for that battery!

Best,

Joe

*Today I use a Sony ICF-SW35, normally kept in my car, when I go bike
riding. I STILL can't imagine anything better than having a radio on my
bike!