Old May 31st 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Back-up rig opinions?

I appreciate all the ideas so far.

I have requested the ten-tec list.

In reading reviews about various Ten-Tec models, there is frequent
mention about failing PTO's and the need for rebuilding. How
concerned should I be about this? Are certain models problematic in
this regard than others?

In terms of various Ten-Tec models....any particular ones "stand out"
over others?

I do have a TS-520S and agree that it is a very solid and reliable
choice. It is in reasonable shape and I may put some restoration
dollars into that as a "back up #2." I pulled it out of the closet
after 10 years and fired it up yesterday. Works well on cw. Amazing
how well it has held up after about 30 yrs. That was one expensive
piece of gear for me when I was in college!

Russ K3Pi