Old May 30th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Stephanie Weil

Default IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

David Eduardo wrote:

The FCC chose the Magnavox, and Lenard Kahn sued, and then the FCC came out with a marketplace ruling 5 years later. To get to C quam, we went through a
singe system ruling, a lawsuit by a disgrunteld designer who did not care if
he killed AM,, and then a marketplace rulling. So they DID do a single
system ruling, even if changed later. The result was C Quam, and one
company getting all the (very limited) money for generators and royalties
for recievers.

Yup. And by then, it was too late for AM Stereo. When did the FCC do
that final ruling on C-QUAM?

Was it in early 2000s? By then I had given up on AM Stereo as the
local MW stations dropped the system one-by-one. Last one to go was
WFAN-AM 660, I believe, when the AM Stereo exciter burned out.

My little Sony AM Stereo walkman was languishing in its box until I
gave it away a couple years ago. I don't miss it.

--
Steph