Old October 3rd 03, 10:12 PM
Cecil Moore

Richard Clark wrote:
The method of computation you employ violates Chipman and any other of
a host of authoritative sources on the topic. If you actually
attempted to verify this at the bench you would "perhaps" find it at
only one point, or at harmonic distances (wavelength specific) along
the line.

-sigh- One cannot verify anything about lossless lines on the bench.
The only verifications about lossless lines that are possible have to
be done in one's head because that's the only place lossless lines
exist. One can come close with open-wire line and extrapolate the
results to lossless lines. You see the effects more on coax than on
open-wire line simply because coax is lossier than open-wire line.

I will leave you to discover Chipman's means to find SWR any where
along any line for yourself.

You told me to reference page 139 which I did. All that page talks
about is lossy feedline with a complex Z0. The purely resistive feedline,
given by you in your example, cannot have a complex Z0. So what Chipman
has to say is irrelevant to the problem you posed, i.e. purely resistive
Z0, purely resistive source impedance, and purely resistive load. You
apparently should have posed a complex Z0.

Chipman explains perfectly why the measured SWR may vary with a
lossy line, i.e. with a complex Z0. There are points of conjugate
matching up and down the line where an oscillation takes place. The
oscillation causes extra reflections and re-reflections at the
conjugate match point, an exchange of a third energy between the
capacitive reactance and the inductive reactance at that point,
that affects the SWR readings. But such is not possible with the
purely resistive Z0 that you posed.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp