Old October 3rd 03, 10:41 PM
Walter Maxwell

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 18:11:14 GMT, Richard Clark wrote:

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:01:08 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Richard Clark wrote:
There are one of two possible explanations for your posting:
1. You have not obtained that copy of Chipman that you ordered.
2. You have not read it.
Of course, you can add a third, fourth or fifth... in complete absence
of Chipman's discussion if his material does not agree with your
interpretations.

Richard, you might be interested to know that HP's s-parameter ap note,
AN 95-1, page 22 under Transducer Power Gain, lists the power available
from the source as the (square of the magnitude of the source voltage)
divided by [one minus the (square of the magnitude of the source's complex
reflection coefficient)], i.e. |Vs|^2/(1-|rho|^2)=power available from
the source where presumably source-rho = (Zs-Z0)/(Zs+Z0)

Hi Cecil,

-sigh- even when you offer confirmatory recitations you still miss the
details. There are only 11 pages in Application Note 95-1 and the
material you describe appears on page 4 not 22.

The voltage from the generator is also portrayed in Fig. 3 entitled
"Flow graph of network of Fig. 2." Figure 2, of course, shows the
generator complete with Zs which most here deny exists, or dismiss as
immaterial to any discussion. This is due entirely to their speed
reading past their own sources' discussion that ALL DISCUSSION OF SWR
assumes the source matches the line it feeds. Such an explicit or
implicit relationship is fundamentally required, or the entire text
that they cite is rendered useless gibberish. The most garbled of
those proclamations is that the source Z has no bearing on line SWR.

This same flowgraph is present in many similar works (AN 95-1 is
hardly unique) and being presented early in the work (like Chipman's
similar observation of requiring source-line matching) is skipped so
that the reader (sic) can scrounge their favorite snippet of math and
remove it from its required context. Chipman also presents much the
same treatment in non S-Parameter discussion, but that is quite
obviously from the part unread by the great mass of so called
adherents to his discussion.

However, to give some flexibility to the discussion; such shortfalls
of understanding how SWR works is simply through lack of experience in
the matter. It is understandable when the usual approach to this
topic is taken by employing a transmitter that both specifies its
output at a Z of 50 Ohms and exhibits a Z of 50 Ohms. Given such a
source, the casual debater is lulled into the comfortable illusion of
having been born on third base thinking they hit a triple in the
debate against source Z (no, the count is three strikes).

Simply because they encounter no ill consequence of source mismatch is
NOT evidence of the source Z being immaterial to the process of
measuring SWR. Luck counts for nothing in debate - unless it is
admitted to. None here count themselves lucky - it would diminish
their sense of erudition.

I don't expect there will be any substantive discussion following this
that will change physics to conform to those illusions (my comments
here will not "change their minds").

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard, I'm dismayed with your statements above. Are you really serious? Or are
you just giving Cecil a bad time?

I've been grappling with your last email to me concerning the nature of the
source resistance of RF amps, and as with your statements above, I'm at a loss
as to how to respond, because we are 180 degrees apart on the source resistance
issue. I'm still going to respond to it, but right now I want to address the SWR
issue.

Richard, how can you possibly believe that the output impedance of the source
has any effect on the SWR on a transmission line? The only conditions
responsible for SWR are the Zo of the line and the ZL of the load--nothing else.
I've been bench measuring SWR for more than 50 years, beginning with using the
slotted line before more sophisticated machinery was available. It didn't matter
what the source impedance was, the SWR remained the same, whatever the source.
Ian told it like it is, and so does Walter C. Johnson in his "Transmission Lines
and Networks, Page 100, where he says:

"The steady state ratio Eplus/Eminus was determined in Eq 11 as the reflection
coefficient k...This ratio is determined only by the load and the line, not by
the generator. It is completely unaffected by the quantity kg = (Zg - Zo)/(Zg +
Zo), which is the reflection coefficient seen by an individual
backward-traveling wave as it reaches the generator terminals. ...the latter
affects the steady state solution only on its influence on the sending-end
voltage, i.e., through its influence on the magnitude of the entire solution."

Your reply comments, please.

Walt, W2DU