Old October 3rd 03, 10:59 PM
Gene Nygaard

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:54:00 -0700, Jim Kelley
wrote:

Gene Nygaard wrote:
So my followup to you is along the same lines: Do you claim that
those "meter kilograms" prove that kilograms are not units of mass?

Not a very difficult question to answer, is it, Jim?

Nope. As I recall, the reason it came up was that you were denying that
pounds were a unit of force.

Then why did you claim something entirely different--not that this
proved that pounds force exist, but rather that it proved that pounds
could not be units of mass?

That official definition of a pound as a unit of force still remains
an elusive little devil, however. Don't you agree? Or are you good
enough to find it?

I cited the torque wrench, and you pointed
out that kg-f are also units of force. I still think you lose on that
account. Don't you?

Certainly not.

Thanks for correcting your earlier claims. You are making progress,
now admitting both that pounds are units of mass, and that kilograms
force exist just as well as pounds force do. Have you realized yet
that you are now aligning yourself with me, rather than with fools
like Richard Clark and KU2S, Raymond Sirois. With me, and with the
younger Resnick and Halliday (1960) that I quoted, not with the fools
you quoted, Halliday and Resnick (1981 appendix, and appendix of most
or all later editions).
Gene Nygaard
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Gene_Nygaard/