Old June 1st 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Buck

Default Mobile rigging

Large wires, Anderson plugs are good ideas.
I have a question, though. If you're running, say 10 to 15 watts to a
automatic screwdriver HF antenna, can you get by with cig lighter
connection?

Thanks,

John

Many years ago, I used a 35 watt transceiver on a cigarette lighter
plug. Someone told me I was making a mistake. We measured the output
of the rig, connected it direct and measured it again. The output of
the rig was a few watts lower on the plug as opposed to direct wiring.
It wasn't significant enough to be detected on the air, but it proved
the inefficiency of using the cigarette lighter for a source of power.
I now use #8 wire directly to the battery for all my mobile amateur
radio wiring.

I never tried to determine if it was the plug itself, or the wiring
that caused the power drop, but I found a website that allows you to
calculate the voltage drop of wire given the length, wire size and
current.

--
73 for now
Buck