Old June 2nd 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Slow Code

Default ARRL members, I need your help.

"JB" wrote in :

Back in the day when I got my Advanced, my Tech class Elmer pointed out
that if you don't know the code, how do you know what repeater you're
on?

Most automated identifications are still Morse code and it is still
legal.

It is sad that Morse code is so under utilized. It is a testimony to
the lack of interest in the greatest tool for weak signal work. If you
have no interest in learning Morse code, than you affirm that your
communications capabilities should be limited to voice capabilities.
Who in emergency communications believes that their capabilities should
be limited by a lack of expertise? Perhaps they believe that emergency
commumications should be restricted to FRS? Rediculous!

Still, we see even avid DXers throw in the towel on a weak one when
Morse code would have cut through the pile-up in a heart beat. A friend
in High School made DXCC in 2 years on CW only, with a 100 watt radio
and dipoles!

The fact remains that those who hate the code are clueless to its
effectiveness. Their only defense is ignorance. Sad!

AC6TK

Amen brother.