Old June 2nd 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Slow Code

Default ARRL members, I need your help.

"DrDeath" wrote in
:

"JB" wrote in message
Back in the day when I got my Advanced, my Tech class Elmer pointed out
that
if you don't know the code, how do you know what repeater you're on?

Most automated identifications are still Morse code and it is still
legal.

It is sad that Morse code is so under utilized. It is a testimony to
the lack of interest in the greatest tool for weak signal work. If you
have no
interest in learning Morse code, than you affirm that your
communications capabilities should be limited to voice capabilities.
Who in emergency communications believes that their capabilities should
be limited by a lack
of expertise? Perhaps they believe that emergency commumications
should be
restricted to FRS? Rediculous!

Still, we see even avid DXers throw in the towel on a weak one when
Morse code would have cut through the pile-up in a heart beat. A
friend in High School made DXCC in 2 years on CW only, with a 100 watt
radio and dipoles!

The fact remains that those who hate the code are clueless to its
effectiveness. Their only defense is ignorance. Sad!

AC6TK

You made good points until your last paragraph. I do not have the time
nor desire to learn the code. If I were to learn it long enough to pass
the test and never use it from day to day, then it will soon be
forgotten. I think that if a person wants to advance, code should be
part of the process and tested on a regular basis, but also have
restrictions for those that do not or cannot use code or the hobby will
fade away. To do away with the code would be wrong as it has it's uses,
but to expect everyone to learn it keeps fresh blood from entering into
a noble but dying hobby.

No. If they're too lazy to learn CW they can stick with CB, FRS, Cell
Phones, and two tin cans with a piece of string in between.

SC