Old June 2nd 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Help Choosing A Radio

I have tried a CCrane CCPlus with and without Terk AM Adavantage
antenna and while both work pretty well at home the reception in my
windowless basement office (hey, I'm new there) still sucks. I get the
same stations as I got on a cheap pocket unit just a little clearer.
Since I am in a podunk town I am stuck with local AM stations and a few
strong FM stations. AM won't even pick up over 25-30 miles so DX'ing
looks unlikely. FM is limited to about 50 miles to the north and less
than that for stations to the south (which are sadly the better ones).
I am pretty sure the Crane is going back but I like the features
AM/FM/WX/TV and the digital tuning, SW is optional to me especially in
this location. With no window satellite is out and online satellite or
streaming is also not an option. So here's my question, can anyone
reccommend a good desktop radio that has AM/FM/WX/TV and maybe SW? I
know it is trial and error but if anyone has some good advice I'd
appreciate it.