Old June 2nd 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
John Bartley

Default WTB 2m / 70cm all modes transceiver

F8BOE wrote:
Hi!

SSB packet on 2m and 70cm? Maybe at 300Bd? Must be very easy and
efficient...

Efficiency is irrelevant.. this is for ARES use when all the
'efficient' systems are down.

As far as I remember, no mulimode dual-band mobile rig was ever produced.
Actually you only find IC-706 and FT-897 type mobiles with multimode
abilities on 2 and 70.

Yep. Looks like the IC-706 family will be much easier to put in my
Jeep than an FT-897/897D would.

And exit the monoband multimodes such as kwd's TM255/455 (no more
produced)... For mobile action I'm using an old Yaesu FT-7100, which I also
use for 1k2/9k6 packet with a TNC2-Multi (IfD, Germany) or a homebrewed
soundcard interface and modern Software (Flex32, Paxon 2.00.1114, WPP 3.18,
Soundmodem, under WinXP).

I think that in the USA, where 9k6 packet is a vague idea

Lots of 9600 baud out here in the Silicon Forest, up on the Left Coast.
http://users.rio.com/kg7fu/mopacket.html

and TXDelays are sooooo loooong and fast switching is of no need,

Being rather new at Packet, I do not understand the latter two issues.

an IC 706 would do the job.

But I would recommend to take a rig with a miniDIN (sort of PS2) plug for
packet/digimode action, so not really the Icom 706 brand.
The miniDIN tends to be a standard plug-and-play feature for most modern
TNCs and digi-mode controllers.

Why would I be swapping TNCs out? Once it works, it will stay
connected, and I think I'd add a mike/TNC switch.

And I'm quite sure you wiil need some links:

http://www.uspacket.org/
http://wpp.dc6hb.de/
http://www.afthd.tu-darmstadt.de/~flexnet/
http://www.paxon.de/

I intentionally do not give the paths to AGWPE or Winpack... I let you guess
why.

Because, perhaps, you too are a Penguinista? Debian distros, e.g.,
Ubuntu or Kubunto, rock, and you can run Dam Small Linux, Puppy, and
other Debian-based compact distros off a 128MB USB memory drive, which
are absurdly cheap 'round these here parts.

Merci, many thanks, 73s & best regards.