Old June 4th 06, 09:35 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,alt.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
DaveM

Default Best ARRL Hankbook issue

"jawod" wrote in message ...
DaveM wrote:
I'm curious about what your opinions of the ARRL Handbook. In terms of
technical content, such as theory, construction projects, etc., which years
are generally regarded as the best of the modern (solid state) era, and which
issue for the vacuum tube era?

I'm interested in hearing about specifically those issues with really useful
construction projects in the areas of complete homebrew receivers and
transmitters, test equipment for the bench and field use and articles about
RF circuit design.

Thanks for your opinions.

The newest one is very good, I think. This is the first time I"ve read
chapters all the way through. I am re-entering ham radio after a long
absence.

I think the technical writing varies among chapters but on the whole is quite
readaable without being "dummied down". This is more difficult to achieve
than it sounds. Technical writing CAN be an art, though it seldom is. ARRL
editor deserves a lot of credit.

There are probably fewer homebrew projects (or at least they are simpler) than
the old days. But, there seems to be more info for building than I
remembeer...ordering PC boards, sources for parts, etc. I think blending them
into the theory within chapters is a very good idea.

That's my $.02 worth.
John
AB8WH