Old June 6th 06, 11:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jimmie D

Default H FIELD ANTENNAS?

"Ian White GM3SEK" wrote in message
chuck wrote:

FWIW, Tom, "chelton" was probably a typo. There is indeed a Chilton Loop
Antenna at a research facility in the UK. I think the name refers to the
loop used at the Chilton facility, rather than to a particular antenna
design.

There seem to be two possible kinds of "Chilton loop".

One is at www.chilton.com, which is a web-controlled SW radio receiver
located in the USA. This is just a loop of wire in some guy's attic.

The second kind may be related to the ionosondes located at the Rutherford
Appleton Lab, Chilton, UK; and at Port Stanley, Falkland Islands. These do
use crossed loop antennas (as the referenced picture shows)... but in 25
years living just a few miles down the road, including 12 years of working
right next to RAL and regularly eating lunch with the hams who work there,
I never heard or saw the term "Chilton loop" until yesterday, right here.

However, I will make some specific inquiries about those loops.

Now if you want something really serious to talk about, those RAL/Stanley
ionosondes are being closed down! The scientists who work there are
horrified, because it would pull the plug on a major international source
of daily data, and terminate the world's longest-running continuous
sequence of ionospheric observations:
http://www.wdc.rl.ac.uk/wdcc1/news/closure_notice.html

(This actually looks like a clumsy political move to shift the running
costs away from the UK science budget and find some other source of
funding, using the threat of closure as a way to get attention. But
suicide bids of this kind can occasionally go wrong...)

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

There is a company named Chelton that makes antennas listed on the web.
Shows reference to a lot of military stuff. If they are claiming they have
an H antenna then...............