Old October 4th 03, 04:23 PM
Reg Edwards

Reg, that can't possibly be you. Someone has hijacked your e-mail.

===========================

Ian, it IS me! Please calm yourself.

Let me put what I said into somewhat different words.

SWR meters are designed to operate and provide indications of SWR, Rho, Fwd
Power, Refl.Power, on the ASSUMPTION that the internal impedance of the
transmitter is 50 ohms. It makes the same INCORRECT assumption as a lot of
people do. This should not be surprising because it was people who designed
it.

So SWR meters nearly always give FALSE indications about what actually
exists.

Perfectionists may be upset at the repercussions of this alarming statement.

PS: In the whole of his excellent 236-page exceedingly comprehensive
volume, Chipman, in 1969, makes not the slightest mention of SWR meters.
----
Reg, G4FGQ