Old June 6th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
clfe

Default Give up CB for ham?

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. com...
clfe wrote:
Many of you may have heard of the Quecreek Mine incident in PA some time
ago. A pipe was drilled down into the shaft. Those at the surface heard 9
taps on it, signifying there were 9 miners there. NOW - if any of those
miners KNEW code, they could have gotten a message to the surface as to
what conditions were exactly, the extent of injuries as best they could,
etc.

Not by tapping. International Morse requires dashes as well
as taps (dots). There is a tap code used in prisons that will
accomplish communications under those circumstances. And since
more people have been in prison than hold an amateur radio
license, seems that it would make more sense to require knowing
the tap code than to require knowing International Morse code.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

DUH - I KNOW THAT - I was just saying the tapping let the people at the
surface know there were 9 people down there. MORSE CODE - "could" have
relayed much more info if one of them knew it. REREAD my message.......

I am fully aware of what "code" is, I'm an Extra myself - have been for
quite some time. I am also a VE Test Team leader.

clfe