Old June 7th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
clfe

Default Give up CB for ham?

"Tom Ring" wrote in message
.. .
Tom Ring wrote:

wrote:

Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

You should go for your license. The additional privelages are quite
worthwhile. I will warn you that there are still quite a few inbred
hicks that got their ham tickets, unfortunately. The good thing is most
of them seem to be extra class, and are mostly older and will be gone
soon. It's a leftover effect of requiring Morse ability as opposed to
operating knowledge.

tom
K0TAR

Boy it's fun what a little trolling can do to my peers. I'm also an
Extra, and licensed for 29 years.

Code is worth what it can do, but has had less and less to do with the
hobby for decades. It's a great hobby within the hobby on HF, and was the
core of EME for years. It still is to some extent, but advances due to
moving up in frequency as well as computer based modes as low as 6 and 2
meters are making it something used for EME as much for fun and
stubborness as for usefullness. SSB is a very popular mode on EME now
among the big guns.

CW is dead as far as being needed. It's a great thing to have as a skill,
but is now as needed as spark.

The person who said they could key an HT to send CW was stretching it way
beyond reality. Ain't gonna happen, any more than someone will make a
spark transmitter by keying a big bunch of wire they wound in a coil when
trapped in their basement by touching it to the hot side of the drop in
their fusebox.

tom
K0TAR

I'm not sure if you're referring to my post or someone else's who I didn't
see. In "my" example - I was saying if a MIC was broken and they knew code,
they could short out the tranmit pins - like making and breaking contact
such as a key would do - to broadcast a coded message. It "can" be done.
There is what is/was known as "Modulated CW". And, I've seen guys key an
H.T. OR Mic and do code with an "Oscillator" with the other hand - thereby
transmitting the code - from the Oscillator speaker through the mic of the
H.T or radio. Maybe that is what "they" were referring to - I don't know.

clfe