Old June 7th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Bob Miller

Default So, how do you decide where to buy your gear?

On 06 Jun 2006 16:30:20 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

They all carry the same stuff, they all charge the same prices and
I assume they all have the same ability to stick an address label on
a box and hand it to the UPS guy.

So, other than the obvious need to minimize sales tax, what
contributes to your decision?

For me, bigger is better -- I figure they got big for a reason.

Amateur Electronic Supply in Minneapolis ships promptly when I put an
order in -- I get the gear in days.

They pack it well; nothing's ever been broken.

And when I recently bought a $300 antenna tuner that did not perform
as I had hoped, they took it back, minus 20% restocking.

Besides, they also put out a gorgeous catalog that's free.

The local guys, besides the sales tax there, they don't advertise
their prices on anything, and don't appear to keep anything in stock.
So why let them mail order stufff for me, and add on the state sales
tax? Doesn't make sense.

bob
k5qwg