Old July 9th 03, 10:40 AM
Bob Miller

On 08 Jul 2003 18:17:50 GMT, ojunk (G. Doughty)
wrote:

Thank you for all the responses. You guys are most helpful. Here is my next
step. There is the BRATS hamfest in Maryland that I will be going to at the
end of the month. It will be my first fest. I'm rolling out of here at 2:00am
to get there when tailgate sales begin. Are the products pretty good from
hamfests in general. The radios I have my eyes on are the ts-520, ft-101, ten
tec 555(not sure but if the price is right why not), and still the atlas 210x.
What do i need to look for to keep from getting suckered. Hams are a pretty
honest bunch from what I have learned, but I still do not want to be taken for
a ride. I do have some electrical experience( avionics in the Navy).

Thanks
G. Doughty
KI4BBL
remove nojunk to email

Ten tec still provides service & parts for its older rigs. I'd beware
of "orphaned" radios like the Atlas, unless you can get a service
manual and know what you're doing.

A service technician recently told me the manufactuers are only
required to make parts available for seven years after a radio is
sold. So the newer the better -- or, at least, the easier to repair,
the better.

Bob
k5qwg