Old June 7th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tron

Default H FIELD ANTENNAS?

Cecil Moore wrote:

wrote:
Reg Edwards wrote:
Precipitation static, eg., from highly charged raindrops and fine snow
or fine sand, impinging on the antenna wire, just causes an increase
in receiver white noise level. It can be reduced but not removed by
using a very thickly insulated antenna wire, like the inner conductor
of a coaxial cable complete with its polyethylene jacket.

I've never seen a case of precitation static occuring that way.

I experienced that kind of static in Arizona with wind, extremely
low humidity, and bare wire. I've never experienced it in East
Texas.

Isn't this the triboelectric effect? I read this was a big problem for
certain newer wireless applications.

Energized TV antennas always feel 'gritty' when I brush my fingers
lightly across them. Why is that? I also get a very mild shock
sometimes, but that gritty electric sandpaper friction is very strange.

Also the indoor TV antenna collects dust and vaporized
cooking oil like there's no tomorrow. Is this like a Tesla coil?

--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp