Old June 9th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Buck

Default Buyer Beware - Cobra Ultralight

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 00:59:53 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 20:33:12 -0400, Mike Coslo
wrote:

I'd buy a tuner that will handle open wire feed, lose the 4:1 balun,
and get on the air.

Mike, did you notice "Mystery's" comment re spending more money on a
"tuner extender": "Not the answer I wanted to hear". She/he may be
even less interested in the spend on the tuner you describe.

I agree with you that antenna looks worth a try / perseverance, but it
will probably need a wider range tuner than commonly fitted internal
to transceivers unless you experiment (what's that!) to find a
feedline length that the rig/runer accommodates on all bands, or
switch feedline lengths.

Owen

There really isn't a lot of information on the antenna on the page I
saw: http://www.k1jek.com/. Many antennas have a spectrum of
frequencies and their associated SWR. Knowing my internal tuner can
only handle 8:1 but the antenna shows places I am interested in using
with 12:1, would help me in my decision to choose the antenna or
another. the OP didn't have that information. I know that internal
antenna tuners are basically 'fine-tuners' and are very limited
compared to external tuners. (at least Kenwood is clear about that in
their instruction guides. ) I am not pointing a finger at either
party, Mystery for not posting the information or some warning nor the
OP for not asking. The Mystery page isn't very Corporate looking so
one would have to assume some give and take in the purchase by both
parties.

Is there any reason the antenna can't be returned for a refund? If
not, can it be sold to someone else who is interested?

This is one of life's lessons learned.

I just looked at the review of the antenna from eHam.com:
===============
WA1BSB Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2006 14:29

Homemade Ultrilite Senior Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Hi I went and made a homemade Ultrilite I too 3 conductor tv rotor
cable 70 ft each side and mounted it to a modified 450 ohm ladderloc
at the center I then ran about 50 ft of ladder line down to a 4.1
balun I know the plan calls for 100 ft but I just dint have the spot
to coil it up The antenna is in a flat top configuration up between 2
trees about 80 ft up from the balun I ran about 70 ft of RG8X 50 ohm
to my 746 Pro it tunes perfect on all bands 10-160 using the radios
tuner 1.1 swr Anyhow it works with good signal reports so far on 40
and 20 meter Im looking forward to trying in 75 and 160 Anyhow bottom
line whether you make one or buy it its quite the antenna I glad I got
one 73s

There are many other reviews about the antennas, both jr and sr.

Maybe there is a better configuration that will work, or he may need
the tuner or tuner extender.

Good luck

Buck

--