Old June 9th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Default So, how do you decide where to buy your gear?

In article , (known to
some as
) scribed...

So, other than the obvious need to minimize sales tax, what
contributes to your decision?

Motorola Spectra units filled the bill nicely. Durable, programmable,
reasonably inexpensive on the used market, simple to operate once
programmed....

Our local police are talking about getting all new radios "real soon
now", which means their old ones may become available.

But can we ordinary peons get the programming software?

For conventional Spectras? Heck, Motorola will sell it to anyone
willing to sign their Draconian software licensing agreement. Last I
looked, conventional Spectra software was down to about $175.

Keep in mind, though, it's not just the software. You also need a
RIB (Radio Interface Box -- anywhere from $25 to $100, depending on
where you get it and which one you get). Programming cables for the
Spectras are easy enough to make.

Worst case (shameless plug alert), there are guys like me who
specialize in conversion of such radios to amateur service, and have all
the tools necessary for programming and checkout. ;-)

Happy hunting.

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)