Old October 4th 03, 08:49 PM
Reg Edwards

SWR meters are designed to operate and provide indications of SWR, Rho,
Fwd
Power, Refl.Power, on the ASSUMPTION that the internal impedance of the
transmitter is 50 ohms. It makes the same INCORRECT assumption as a lot

of
people do. This should not be surprising because it was people who

designed
it.

So SWR meters nearly always give FALSE indications about what actually
exists.

Reg,

BTW, I did force the SWR meter to see a different source impedance. There
was no difference in SWR readings for either the 1:1 or 2:1 case.

Tarmo,

And of course, as you and I know, on whatever line there is between the
meter and transmitter, the swr is neither the indicated 1:1 nor 2:1 because
the input impedance looking back towards the tranmitter is not the assumed
50 ohms. Both readings are false, even meaningless. There may in fact be no
standing waves to measure.

To avoid confusing novices and budding engineers, retarding education,
rename the meter the TLI (Transmitter Loading Indicator) which is what it
really is.
----
Reg, G4FGQ