Old June 11th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Noise level between two ant types

wrote:
As a matter of fact if you research the quad, it was initially used to
eliminate corona at radio station HCJB.

Yep, designed by my distant cousin, BTW.

Try this test, wire a small 2.5 MHh RF choke across your antenna and
check the before and after noise levels. They will not change.

Obviously a false statement based on limited knowledge and
experience. Any ham living around Phoenix will be glad to
enlighten you.

That's exactly how I eliminated the noise and arcing on my
first bare-wire G5RV installed in Arizona. I didn't measure
the change in noise level but it went from arcing at the coax
connector to not arcing at the coax connector which was
acceptable to me.

If the driven element on a Yagi is an uninsulated dipole, it
is susceptible to wind driven noise on the driven element just
like my G5RV was.

Just because you have never experienced that type of noise in
Georgia doesn't mean it doesn't exist in Arizona. I dare say
you haven't experienced a lot of things that exist in reality.
Mary G. comes to mind. :-)
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp