Old June 12th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
K. Hastings

Default 2 Meter QUAD - Balun / SWR question

I recently built a decent 3-element 2 M Quad that fits inside my insulated
attic (just barely) and is all connected to my shack. Worked great... The
problem now is that the SWR is very high (3:1) on all freqs above the 145
MHz channels.

I think that the Quad, when tested inside the house had a great match across
the band from what I recall.

This thing is fed with RG-8 and I purposely put a whole bunch of turns into
a 5" coil near the feed point, and I'm wondering if I should have done that
at all now. I'm sure that the match would be different regardless since
it's now located in a different space, and I understand how that can change
things.

It's dark and itchy up there - before I go up there and unwind the whole
BALUN, can you guys tell me whether or not I even need that thing, or have I
got another problem.

FWIW it works great - decent gain and nicely directional - but the SWR is
too high, and it resets all the programmable thermostats clocks in the house
when I key up (interesting RFI huh?) which my attic ground-plane DOES NOT
do.

help?

Kevin VE9-XYZ