Old June 13th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Steve N.

Default FM without 'pink noise'

"W3JDR" wrote in message
Dave,

If you've never heard of 'pink' noise, then you're probably not a student

of
noise.

In noise parlance, 'white' noise is the term that is usually used for
non-bandlimited noise (ie, 'broadband noise'). "Pink' noise, on the other
hand, is a term used to refer to bandlimited noise. In practice, anything
that comes out of the audio channel of a communications receiver is

really
'pink' noise, as the bandwidth is limited to a few KHz. On the other

hand,
the noise that is incident at the antenna or generated in the front-end

is
much broader in bandwidth and is more deserving of the term 'white'

noise.
Joe W3JDR

White noise is constant energy/Hz, pink is constant energy/octave.
tom K0TAR

You're both right. The "classical" definition is Tom's. "White" is a
constant energy density. "Pink" is 1/f, which gets to you the octave thing.
In looser circles/ discussions, we often call noise which is not infinite
in bandwidth or not "flat" in the bandwidth of discussion as "colored" and
when the low frequency end has more than the high, "pink" often creeps into
the vocabulary. "RED" noise would be what many broadcast FM stations seem
to be transmitting now-a-days. 15-20 dB bass boost even on the mics.
Really hard to listen to, but liked by the sub woofer crowd we all hear
coming blocks away.

73, Steve, K9DCI