Old October 5th 03, 05:07 AM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Whenever you're dealing with current, you have to pay attention to the
definition of positive direction. If you define the positive direction
of forward current as being toward the load and of reflected current
toward the source, then Vf is in phase with If and Vr is in phase with
Ir. I suspect that a similar caution needs to be heeded when dealing
with optics.

Optics doesn't have the luxury of only two directions so Kirchhoff's
conventions are meaningless for light. With light scattering in any
number of directions in 3D space, 3D optical engineers must be a little
more careful than 1D RF engineers. :-)

Obviously, light and RF waves obey the same physics but an RF transmission
line is essentially a one-dimensional environment with a plus and minus
direction. I assume fiber-optics is subject to that same simplification.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp