Old June 14th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default pro opinion on the Eton E1

mike maghakian wrote:
one of the disadvantages of the internet is that any asshole can post an
opinion on the E1 even though he has no qualifications for making such
assertions.
In addition to people who are intelligent like Guy Atkins, there is another
source who people should not argue with in this case.
Dave Z and Larry Magne both assert the E1 is outstanding !

read this: http://passband.com/pages/receivernews.htm

Interesting update on that radio, although a quality issue like a
wobbly optical encoder is worrisome on a radio in that price range.
But more to the point just exactly what is a "Pro Opinion" and why
should it be given any more credibility than than the collective
opinions of users on on eham, radiointel, Yahoo or this forum. Also,
because Eton appears to be the single largest advertiser in PBWR
occupying several pages in the version I read, should reviews of their
radios be taken as truly independent?

I would take the well written opinons in PBWR to be just that and
nothing more. They are another source of information about radios but
not THE source.

That said I am impressed by the E1 and am seriously considering buying
one. But my decision will be influenced more by the opinions seen on
fora than one review in PBWR.