Old June 14th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default pro opinion on the Eton E1

mike maghakian wrote:
one of the disadvantages of the internet is that any asshole can post an
opinion on the E1 even though he has no qualifications for making such
assertions.
In addition to people who are intelligent like Guy Atkins, there is another
source who people should not argue with in this case.
Dave Z and Larry Magne both assert the E1 is outstanding !

read this: http://passband.com/pages/receivernews.htm

Mikie, Mikie, Mikie - who cares what these guys think, the E1 is not
worth the money, per MY review:

NOTE: Watch out - the batteries blow up, when used with the AC adaptor
!

So, what is the point of plopping down $500 for this radio - there is
not much of interest on shortwave anymore, one can buy a $25 Radio
Shack digital PLL AM/FM radio for AM DXing (THE E1 DOESN'T EVEN HAVE AN
INTERNAL FERRITE-BAR ANTENNA, OR COME WITH A SATELLITE ANTENNA !), and
one can buy a satellite radio for $50, now. Also, after getting $500
in-the-hole, one gets to shell out a monthly fee for satellite radio,
plus an activation fee - a bigger ripoff than cable T.V. !
Evidentually, there are major technical problems with the actual
satellites, so its future is in question !

So, what is the bottom-line ? Well let's see, $500 for the radio,
probably another $100 - $200 for the AM and satellite external
antennas, $9 - $12 monthly fee, and the activation fee. Is this another
blunder by Grundig/Eton/Tecsun, or a total ripoff - I suspect a bit of
both !

This baby, I believe, is assembled in India, while the rest of the
Grundig/Eton/Tecsun junk is made in China. I wonder, if the E1 is as
cheap as, the Grundig S350 ?

This is a copy of a post from gearlog.com (the BBC and "Voice of the
Andes" are now gone from SW, too):

Shortwave Eton E1
Posted by: Larry N.
Monday, October 31, 2005 8:03 PM

David,
I am shocked your would recommend this new radio from Eton.
Honest?, DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT?
It does not have Digital Radio Mondale! Who in 2005/2006 would spend
$500.00 for a top of the line portable without it? In few years the
shortwave part of this radio will be useless. DW is leaving analog
shortwave by June 2006. Radio New Zealand by the end of December 2006.

I would hope you would admit your mistake and if not withdrawing your
recommendation at least make note of the lack of Digital Radio Mondale
and why that is important!

73
Larry

AND Mikie, I just read that the major stockholder in XM Satellite Radio
sold off its shares - it may go under ! A pretty receiver (aren't all
the Grundig/Eton/Tecsun junk), that will make a nice FM radio.