Old June 14th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default pro opinion on the Eton E1

John S. wrote:
Also,
because Eton appears to be the single largest advertiser in PBWR
occupying several pages in the version I read, should reviews of their
radios be taken as truly independent?

Good point, John. I haven't read any reviews that denied that the E1 is
a fine portable. What I have read are reviews that find a flaw here or
there. For example, some have said that the E1 is not as sensitive on
SW as some of the Sony portables, while others have said that the E1
cannot accommodate as much of an antenna as the S800s. These reviews
then go on to assert that the E1 is nevertheless a fine radio.
Overpriced, perhaps, but so are many other portables. However, the
reaction to some E1 boosters to these reviews is bizarre. I'm afraid
that the E1 is taking the place of the S800 as "the portable about
which one is only allowed to speak praise". I even encountered one guy
who refused to believe that the E1 had no internal ferrite antenna. He
insisted that there was an excellent ferrite loop, but Eton had
"reasons" for wanting to deny that it was there. This is sheer
craziness.

You'll never get 100% consensus on any radio. That being the case,
people should be free to voice their opinions without getting trounced
on. And if you like the E1, you should just enjoy it and not feel
defensive. More power to you, I say.

Steve