Old October 5th 03, 03:26 PM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:
I'm not at all saying your explanation is wrong. I'm just pointing out
the effect of defining the direction of current. You say that the phase
of the reflected current changes 180 degrees. Another way to say the
exactly the same thing is that the current doesn't change phase but
reverses direction. The phase of the current depends on its direction,
so is affected by how we define "positive" direction. The phase of
voltage, on the other hand, isn't.

It might be easier to visualize using E & H fields and the right hand
rule. Point your thumb in the direction of wave travel (North). The orthogonal
index finger (up) represents the E-field and the orthogonal middle finger (East)
represents the H-field. Then turn the thumb in the opposite direction (South)
while keeping the index finger (E-field) pointed in the same direction (up).
The middle finger (H-field) will reverse direction by 180 degrees (West) but the
orthogonal relationships between the direction of travel and the fields are
still identical. Just another way of visualizing what you said above.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp