Old June 18th 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

Default Log Peridic 50m - 1300m

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 00:31:54 -0400, "J. Mc Laughlin"
wrote:

I do not recognize the "30 Lb of ICE" specification. Most often, ice
around each element (12 mm of radial ice).

Given the looseness of use of the unit lb to specify mass and
(incorrectly) force, it is a bit ambiguous... but he probably means
mass. 30lbf of windage from ice loading isn't much on an antenna of
that type!

(We sin in the metric system as well! If someone asks me what I weigh
(being a force) I will answer in Kg (being a mass) instead of N
(force).)

Having said that, the impact of ice on the wind forces is probably
much more significant than the gravitational force due to the mass of
the ice.

Mac, I agree, radial ice loading is a more relevant specification.

Owen