Old June 19th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen

Default PVC for antenna construction ?

The main problem PVC will probably cause is to detune(*) the antenna
because of its dielectric constant. If you can adjust the element
lengths to compensate, it probably won't be a problem.

(*) By detune I don't mean that it just changes the resonant frequency.
It'll affect the pattern as well.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Al Dykes wrote:
A friend is telling me that PVC has crappy electrical characteristics
and having my wire against it for the entire antenna not good.

I've been making simple VHF antennas with small diameter PVC pipe cut
and glued to make the rigid structure and then taping 12ga copper wire
to the PVC to make the elements.

Should I switch to something else ?